Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Won't you take me to......Funkytown?

Munich has kind of been one party after another since we got here; there were all those parties and events for Munich's 850th anniversary, street fairs for various though kind of unclear reasons, beer festivals in neighboring cities, so I should have know that there was no reason to mourn the passing of what Moe has taken to calling O-fest. Alas, our newest reason for celebration is our upcoming visit from our awesome cousin Jen and her fiance Scott. I'm sure there should be a dash over one of those vowels but can't be sure which. 
Sarah and Dave got the first practice visit and left me with some valuable hosting nuggets of wisdom. For example, it's wise to leave the beergarden when the winds start blowing violently and hordes of locals are bolting. You could end up sharing a shelter with really drunk guys singing obscene yet indiscernible ditties. Tell your guests where you live in relation to the Friedensengel, and find a good indoor beer event in case of inclement weather. Ideally one that has an oompah band.
Maria and Jason got a slightly improved tour with more tidbits of historical interest and a racecar bed but some lapses in foresight. I think the coupling of late night street fairs with early morning hiking may have been a blunder on my part.  
Just know, future visitors, that we're getting better each time, so it's wise to book your trips now on the heels of these valuable lessons.  This applies to re-visits as well. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed O-fest this year! I fear it will be getting a little colder, now that hell has frozen over. In fact, I wouldn't worry too much about global warming...I just fixed the problem. There's always next year.
Moe

Sarah said...

Yeah - I'm already planning my re-visit. I'm sure the vom fass misses me, and all the beer gardens, and there is probably a surplus of sourkraut since I left.

Helly said...

Vom Fass....that place will F you up!