Monday, October 27, 2008

Eagle's Nest


The Eagle's Nest was the Nazi Party's present to Hitler on his 50th birthday. It's beautiful and creepy, and so is the trek to the top. First you drive up really high on Mount Kehlstein, then you take the scariest bus ride in the world around tight cliffside turns, then there's a long underground tunnel, and finally a huge brass elevator takes you the last 407 feet to the top. There is such a contrast between the beauty of the area, especially from this height, and the evil history of the place. Hitler didn't live here, I guess he was afraid of heights, but he held a number of important meetings with dignitaries in this spot that's now a restaurant that serves good spätzle. 

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Jeremy and Emily. Hope things are going well over there. That house reminds me of the castle in Lord of the Rings where the king of Rohan lived.

Anonymous said...

My attempt to visit, part II: Hi Jer-Em. I have some time off and I want to meet my sister in Munich or Salzburg. I havent heard back yet, but will you guys be around the weekend of 8-11 November? Tuesday the 11th is a US holiday, so my sister has the long weekend. Hope to (finally) meet you two!!!
Moe

em said...

Hey Hey Chris! It was kind of Tolkien like but fortunately ork free.

Moe!!! I think we are about that weekend. We'd love to help you recreate your lost Oktoberfest.

Sarah said...

Scariest bus ride in the world? Have you not gone on a seagull killing experience in the zebra bus at the wastewater? And are you sure it was ork free? Did you ask what was in the spatzle? Moe - I'm so jealous you guys are going to hang out! I bet not quite as jealous as you are though, not bieng in beautiful Ohio right now.