The first one was so wildly popular, I thought I'd keep you abreast of my continued learning.
- Spargel-not just a fun word for asparagus, but it's a whole season here. Spargel season is May-June, and a party celebrating asparagus season is called a Spargelfest. I should have just made Spargelfest the featured fun word.
- Po-cute word for bum.
- Vorglühen-verb-to predrink or drink before going out to drink. It's the same word for warming up an engine.
- Schlange-This is the word for a snake and for a line. I had to use it today to ask all the people sitting outside the registration office at the Volkshochschule if they were in a "schlange." Sadly, they were.
- Volkshochschule-it's a shule or school for the (f)olks. it's like a community college, and you can't beat the prices. I'm at Grundstufe 3.
- Schnecke-snail, and all kinds of candy and doughnuts that are wound like a snail.
- Nacktschnecke-slug, but literally "naked snail."
- Fußpilz-ha, this is what they call athlete's foot. It's foot mushrooms or foot fungus.
- Schmetterling-great word for butterfly. The verb schmettern is to dash and shiver. So cute.
- Hausmeister-it still cracks me up when people say this, as I initially think they're quoting SNL....the copy meister, making some copies! but it's a house master or superintendent. (where were you on that one, Jeremy?)
- Antibabypille-could one label contraceptive pills more clearly?
- Gute Fahrt-When you say Gute Fahrt, you're wishing someone a good trip, but it sounds so much more personal.
- Knoblauch-knooblaughhh is garlic
- Zwiebel-tssweeebul is onion
- Blau-it's just the color blue, but if you say you're blue, it doesn't mean you're sad, it means you're tipsy. Which seems funny because I'm never blue when I'm tipsy.
4 comments:
Now I've only had 4 days of lessons so far, but my instructor (meine Lehrerin) keeps asking me to buchstabieren things. I think she may be hitting on me...Moe
Good words! Just a slight correction - Hausmeister is more like 'super' (as in 'superintendent'), ie, the guy who fixes things, not the guy who owns things. All words with meister are fun, though! like Europameister: http://deutschlanduberelvis.blogspot.com/2008/06/all-in-days-email-1.html
thanks julie! jeremy is a great guy but gets an A- in german proofreading. you get such a better title if you just fix stuff as opposed to owning it.
i sure wouldn't want to tend to the grass in that stadium.
moe, i think you and your teacher may be speaking the international language. see better off dead for reference.
em, you don't know how true that might be! you might actually meet her at the same time you meet me if things continue the way they are going. and B.O.D. is a great movie! one of my favorites from high school. "Ich verlange mein zwei Euro's!" Yep...it even translates well into Deutsche! Later, Moe
Post a Comment