Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dirndl Time

I resisted as long as I could, but Julie was quite right that buying a dirndl is an essential experience for taking in the season.  While dirndls really seem to fit best on a certain type of figure that I sadly do not have, it is still so much fun to take this step in Wies'n preparation. I even bought one with colors.  red at that. and pink and green and orange.  It is probably the most fun thing I own, and I could only justify buying it as an investment in future Oktoberfests and Halloweens.  It would easily surpass my past non-costumes.  Hey, I'm a lady from the seventies, I'm a lady with a cape; I'm Super Emily, It's a red cape this year; I'm Little Red Riding Hood, I've got a sash and cookies; I'm obviously a Girl Scout. 
But I'm so looking forward to wearing my new ensemble, and it is an ensemble.  It's not just the dirndl, but there is a special apron (aprons are the most fun part, and Katja says they are actually quite useful for beer spills and the like) and a lacy underneath shirt which is surprisingly about two inches long, but it seems almost Dickie-like in that it gives the illusion of a whole shirt. My excitement for wearing my ensemble actually rivals my excitement for Oktoberfest which begins this Saturday. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would have been a perfect time to post a picture. You wrote less than a thousand words there so we have a bit of a deficit.

Jul said...

Yup, what this post needs is a photo!

Helly said...

Please tell me that Jeremy got lederhosen to complete the effect...

em said...

i am wearing my dirndl right now as i'm doing laundry. i love this red apron!

i believe that linking julie's dirndl picture more than makes up for not including mine, and i'll be sure to edge my way into at least one of the oktoberfest pictures if i don't lose my camera in the mayhem.

jeremy doesn't seem as interested in tracht, and i can't understand why. the traditional checked shirt really is the coolest.

Sarah said...

I agree that Jeremy needs some leather shorts and socks pulled way up to his knees. Why am I thinking about dad? hmm.
Never underestimate the power of duct tape to boost that figure too. It's a little painful coming off, but hey, you didn't want hair there anyway.

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous! It is the perfect drinking outfit!