Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hiking near Innsbruck


To reach this altitude, we employed the assistance of the funicular railway. It brought us to the top at super speed along with a lot of much more serious looking hikers with performance poles and big serious hiking boots.  

I can see why they needed said gear too as the terrain was menacing at times, but there was a beautiful view of the city and it was neat to be high enough to look down on the planes flying in. And we got to see an Alpine ibex with humongous horns and really interesting wooly sheep.  
As we were nearing the sheep, a man yelled aufpassen (watch out) and something else in German. Jeremy translated that there was a hostile goat among the sheep who was likely to charge. He didn't though so that was good. 

Apparently, this guy was a shepherd.  I'd never met a real life shepherd; I'd only heard of them in biblical stories.  He told us that the brown sheep were the real mountain sheep, and we didn't really catch the rest; but we found conversing with a real shepherd interesting nonetheless.

4 comments:

Wendy B said...

that IS interesting, I agree! I'm impressed that Jeremy's German is good enough to translate hostile goat may charge :)

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a good shepard guarding over me here in wolf lake. Aufpassen in any language will due. So where is the picture of the Alpine Ibex?

em said...

i took one mom, but it was not visually stunning since he was far away and on the same color rock. i'll put it up just for a day so you don't think i'm trying to josh you.

Anonymous said...

I tell you those performance poles can come in handy when dealing with a hostile goat!