Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mountain Christkindlmärkte


We've been snowless for weeks, so Jeremy and I decided to drive down to the mountains to see how the festivities were unfolding there. Our first stop was in Ettal which is really sweet tiny town, and we asked one of the monks working there about Christmas markets in the area. He claimed that all small towns had one. Ettal didn't though. So we went five minutes further into Oberammergau, site of our summertime tire debacle. It was less fun without Crowders but more fun with all of our tires intact. And then we hit Garmisch where I was able to add Orangepunsch to my tour of Christmas drinks. I loved it. Like a microwaved sour patch kid.

After we came home and rested a bit, we decided we had more marketing left in us and ventured back out to the Marienplatz where poor overworked Jeremy had his first Glühwein, and I tried a Schneemann, a Glühwein with a shot of amaretto and cream. It was the tenth Christmas drink I've had to date. I'm not sure a drink of that size really needs an extra shot, but it was not bad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovin' the Gluehwein!!! Natalie knows how to make it, so I have been enjoying some home made as well. I also know how to make Gluehwein...ohne Glueh...! Hey, glad to see you made it to Garmisch again. I love that town. I may try to go there the week between Christmas and New Years...Well, see you soon. Moe

Helly said...

Was it all Garmisch, and no Partenkirchen?

Sarah said...

Were there mountains in Garmisch?

Moe, have Natalie send that reciepe over man, this is season for sharing you know. I'm cold and drinkless.
I'm glad you didn't have any car problems this time, but I loved the experience with you. :)

em said...

yeah moe, we want to know all the scoop, especially scoop related to drinking secrets.

helly, while partenkirchen offers clearly superior lodging, especially in regards to racecar fans, garmisch seems to get all the glory in the marketing scene. i apologize for the lack of fairness.

sarah, there were man, it was just raining too hard for you to see them. we didn't go much farther than the beer tent with the clark griswold dancing. i loved the experience with you too and can't wait to plan the sequel!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Orangepunsch sounds good!