Sunday, August 31, 2008

Journey to Andechs

On the twenty-fifth anniversary of Strange Brew, or close to it, I toured the town of Andechs, site of a pilgrimage church and a big ole brewery, with Charlene, an awesome fellow accidental Hausfrau.  
To help capture our adventure via photography, I thought it would be fun to take a picture with the town church and a beer truck featuring the town church. 
Charlene and I quite skillfully manuevered three whole S-bahn zones to get to Andechs, hiked all over this holy mountain, toured this stunning monastery, sampled two kinds of pork from of a virtual plethora of pork varieties including the knuckles, and stopped by the pretty lake for ice cream before catching our train home.  






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a great time it was, too! Though I don't know where you get all your energy from -- I was exhausted by the end. Hey! I did get to sample Andechs beer. On Sunday we went to the Bayern Markt at Orleansplatz, and who should be one of the sponsors?! The holiness is following us around.

Sarah said...

I have been quoting Strange Brew for around 25 years? Crazy. I like the cute town. They should give you a free sample of beer for visiting the church. Give in to the dark side of the force, you knob.

em said...

the andechs beer itself must also be holy as monks make it and cute nuns in birkenstocks drink it. i'm glad you got to partake. how did we miss drinking it as part of our tour?

ha sar, that's exactly what I wrote when I discovered that it was the 25th anniversary via summer of herbie. I can't remember not saying jell-eee dough-nut.

Anonymous said...

yo em i am not sure but do you get cabbage with that knukles dish?

Anonymous said...

you ate sausage? i don't believe it.

em said...

no mama, not sausage, but i swear that i did sample charlene's two pork dishes. i thought it might be good considering it is "the other white meat." though you are correct, i just ordered the local cheeses.

and i do believe there was cabbage in the form of sauerkraut complementing said pork.