Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lucerne, Switzerland

With only a few weeks left in this lovely corner of the world, Jeremy and I thought we'd explore our neighbor Switzerland. I believe it was the combination of good cheese, fancy chocolate, hiking potential, cable cars, and Jul's recommendations that sealed the deal, bringing us first to Lucerne, where I have recorded the requisite picture here of a stunning wooden bridge. Once part of the city's fortification, these adorable medieval bridges bear pictures of the history of the city underneath the arches.  

With its covered bridges across the Reuss River, awesome squares, and gorgeous frescoed buildings, it's really the perfect place for strolling.  
Notice the spear in the poor guy's flank? The dying lion is a monument to the Swiss soldiers who died defending King Louis XVI. Mark Twain calls it "the most moving and mournful piece of stone in the world." 
Also of interest in Lucerne, an upcoming festival. The title made me fear that it might be one of those ones that you get really, really excited about and then... 

4 comments:

Sarah said...

So, I made the last photo in your blog my screen saver on the computer I'm using. Is it bad that I'm at work? Miss you so much!

Anonymous said...

Is the last photo the caption for the photo just above it...?

em said...

sar-i think it's totally appropriate for your place of work. i get to see you so soon woo woo!

anon-that you moe? :)

Anonymous said...

yes em! I forgot to take off my cloaking device...
Moe