1. speaking better German: I'm not working any magic yet, but I'm trying. I'm taking Grundstufe 4 with the Volkshochschule this term, and I'm registered to delve into Mittelstufe next term. I've got my ipod filled with slow German podcasts, and I'm listening to them at the gym. I told Jeremy that we can only converse in German, but I'm always the first to bend and beg him to repeat himself in English. And I started checking out German kids' books from the library. German kids are so smart.
2. Flicker: I'm downloading some pictures right now. I'll post the link when I'm done.
3. Library Card: This was so the easiest thing on my list. I even got to pick from a range of six colors. I went for hot pink.
4. Fewer Pretzels: Thanks for pointing out the silliness of this one. I decided to instead work on liking beer. I plan to address this full on this weekend and to have it conquered before my visit to Dublin.
5. Metric System: I think I've got these temperatures down. And a liter is a big beer. And I know my weight.
6. Driving a Manual: Ooooh, that's going to take some work.
7. Working Our Oven: I actually made some backward progress here as I shattered the glass shelf in our oven. I hope my landlady doesn't read my blog.
5 comments:
I can share a few of those goals.. I have a license, but, embarassingly enough, can't drive a manual either. They should offer an expat course :) I still think the temperatures in Farenheit are WAY better. Hats off to you and good luck!
When are you going to Dublin?! No work needed to appreciate a good Guinness...especially in Ireland. For some reason, they just taste so much better there.
Other Emily-are you from one of the states that Germany likes? For Texans, one has to do a whole course and test in order to get a license. Celsius doesn't seem very natural to me either, but I am finding it less difficult to subtract twelve from times after noon :).
Karolyn-hey mama! I'm going next week and skipping my German classes and the classes I teach. I'm so excited. I promise to drink a Guinness for you, however unpleasant I find it. :)
I really like the change of more pretzels and more beer. You're a girl after my own heart, and I'm sure you make your mother proud.
You have a glass shelf in your oven? THAT sounds practical. Love the German designs. I'm sure that would have been shattered the first week in our place.
I found that, with my German, it somehow just started coming despite my lack of studying. I think the brain just needs time to absorb. I have definitely hit a plateau though. I like the podcast idea. It would be more helpful if I went to the gym more often though :-)
Post a Comment