Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kind Ludwig's Heart in a Jar

It's really in more of an urn, but they keep his heart and his dad's and his grandfather's hearts in this tiny church, the Chapel of the Miraculous Image, in Altötting. The don't let you take pictures inside the building, but on the right is a picture of my postcard of the Miraculous Image, and these are pictures from the outside. The pictures depict times that Maria has helped people, with car crashes, illnesses, problems with cattle. It was also really remarkable inside. There were about twenty nuns in the small church along with the hearts of the Ludwigs. 
The town abounds with churches. We also visited St. Anne's Basilica:
The Church of St. Conrad:

and the Church of St. Philip and James:

This skeleton is holding a scythe, but we thought he looked like a hockey player. 

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's smart to have ex-hockey player skeletons looking over the church. Those guys are tough.

Anonymous said...

Where is Altoetting? Oh, and where can I find a good Krapfel?
Moe

Anonymous said...

...I mean Krapfen?...

em said...

hey sar! hockey players are especially tough if you can control their mind through beer.

moe!!! i've missed you! altötting is east of munich, about an hour. and i haven't actually tried krapfen yet, but i can't wait to. one of my german students told me that krapfen is also slang for ugly girls. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh...so I have had Krapfen then!

Wedding Diplomat said...

MEANDERING MONKS!!