Thursday, July 3, 2008

Uber Complex

What once seemed so easy can be such a trial here.  It's way hot here right now and AC is not the norm. So, to cope with the heat of the fifth floor attic, I resolved immediately upon arrival to get a fan. I thought this might help blot out the disconcerting morning noises of the birds to boot.  Every day at 5:00 A.M, they make the sound Nick makes when he sees Zachy and march all over the tin roof.  It's kind of charming but noisy.  

After waiting patiently for a week, Jeremy agreed that this was a necessity and that he'd take me to IKEA. Woohoo. But after asking, "Do you have a machine that blows cold wind?" (fan wasn't one of our beginner vocabulary words) IKEA guy said nein. Sad.  

As Jeremy has a job, I can't count on his driving me about regularly so I resolved to find a fan within walking distance and just carry it home.  I swear I walked for a couple miles before finding a cold wind blowing machine.  It seemed like a big win at first but then I had to fight my way onto the subway with this mongo box.  Yeah, after two miles I accumulated some other cumbersome goods too: bread, gummi bears, a cute vase, an egg timer in the shape of a French chef.  There isn't one on our quasi-microwave and oven combination machine, and I can't remember when ten minutes have passed.  So I find myself overladen in the busiest station and can't find the U4. Good governor. It seemed like a long three blocks from the station once I fought my way through.

And then, five flights of stairs later, the crazy fan was unassembled.  I didn't know fans came that way. My first attempt left it a bit wheezy like a Aunt Bernie's dog Shasta who drooled all the time so I had to give assembly another go with a little more zeal.  And now it's awesome. But seriously. That's a good three hours of just fan getting. And then the extra time for complaining.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture you spralled out in front of the blowing machine after all that effort. I shall learn to appreciate the comforts of being where I am after that story. Seems you had much the same effort put into going to the craft shop through the snow in Mt. Pleasant. Not so pleasant!

Anonymous said...

your retelling of the events was great! i was able to fully visualize the entire shopping expedition. with all that hard work and effort you put into finding that machine that blows cool wind (and getting it home) i bet you appreciate it more than you ever thought possible. love you. miss you.

Anonymous said...

I love it! "A machine that blows cold wind"...You are such a great storyteller Em!

Anonymous said...

i must say that the sight of an "assembled in germany tag" is something i haven't seen....ever.