Friday, July 11, 2008

Mozart Town


Sarah, Dave, and I got to spend the day in Salzburg, Austria, and it was one of my best days ever.  I was pretty surprised with their comfort level regarding my train skills after I bought six one way tickets for Maria, Jason, and I to Giverny.  Alas, our tickets were right on this time though my use of them wasn't exactly. I confidently led them to the exact wrong train on go number one.  But when we got on the right train, it was a beautiful ride.  

I kid you not when I tell you that the thing to buy in Salzburg is Mozart balls.  These pistachio and marzipan filled chocolates commemorating said composer were our first purchase off the train and funny though not terribly good.



Mozart is all over the place as well as awesome sparkling signs, stunning views, and unexpected surprises like catacombs and ridiculously pretty gardens.  





After our hike to the castle, we set off on another walking adventure to find the Augustiner Brewery where you pay monks and wash your own glasses.  It took numerous friendly Austrians to help us locate the place, but the trouble was well worth it.  



We left in time to catch the last train home and only Crowder stayed awake.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed the Mozart balls don't taste as good as one might expect from the name! :)

Helly said...

Nothing like a cold beer to wash down some Mozart balls, eh Dave?

Helly said...

P.S. Salzburg, I love their steaks.... the town looks really beautiful too.

Sarah said...

They do have good steaks, but I was bummed we didn't see any Kangaroos. (I copied that from an Austrian t-shirt.) I was going to bring home some not-so-good Mozart balls, but I didn't want them to melt. Nobody likes yucky deformed balls. But, that does remind me of all the nudes we saw at the engligh garden playing paddle ball. I love that place!

Cris said...

I don't care whose they are. I just love balls.

Joemamma said...

hmmmm.... Motzart balls