Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Fourth of July Weekend!


Germans don't really seem to acknowledge the Fourth of July as a holiday, so we started our weekend by joining a bunch of other Americans for a Fourth of July potluck in Hirchgarten, which literally means deer park.  It's not like the Deer Park of the days of yore where you could ride the mutley put puts or take on the corkscrew or hang out in the video arcade. But this deer park has the biggest beer garden in Munich with seating for 8,000 people.  I thought the photo of Jeremy with glassware would give a scope of the beer consumption here. Is it bad form to bring a bag of candy to a potluck?

We ventured farther away later in the weekend; we first went to the town of Schliersee, an unbelievably cute place.  Their cuteness extended to their signs, including that of Bücher Oase. This is a book store and sadly not one of the three Oases I miss immensely. 
Then we moseyed over to Mount Wendelstein in the German Alps.  We could have cog railwayed or taken a scary funicular hanging contraption to the top, but we opted to hike 4,000 feet you see looming behind us. 

From that point, we could see scary weather menacing the Austrian Alps which were much closer than they appeared I guess because there was a downfall upon us post haste.  My aversion to climbing back down in the rain was much stronger that of the hanging thing, and it turned out to be a nice ride down.  It's the yellow dot in the right bottom corner.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the hanging thing looks awesome! I'd have taken that in a heartbeat!

Helly said...

Nice mugs Jeremy. The views from the Mt look awesome. And Deer Park Funland was the best, none of the hoity-toity Michigan Adventure stuff!

Grandma Margaret said...

I wouldn't of been scared Emily!!! I would have thougt it was the best ride in the world. HAve a good time in Germany.
ELLIS