Monday, June 2, 2008

Gemütlichkeit

I've never heard of Monocle Magazine, but I do appreciate their vote of confidence in declaring Munich the world's most liveable city. I am so glad that the city got some good press. I needed to hear something positive after watching movies like Sophie Scholl: The Last Days and well Munich. I thought seeing the city in film would help get me ready for the move. not so much though.
I like the article's mention of Gemütlichkeit. It translates from German as "the fondness of feasting, drinking and merry company." Who doesn't like merry company? or feasting and drinking?
I hope my page hasn't become too theme based. I know Ali has an aversion to themes. 

3 comments:

krhagan said...

Munich is 1 of the 3 largest cities in Germany with a population over 1 million! Germany is also the 3rd largest economy in the world behind the US and Japan. Fun facts I learned at work today...

Bleeding Heart Esq said...

Theme's can also be for good and not for evil.

Like the theme to the movie Starwars:
Star Wars is often credited as heralding the beginning of a revival of grand symphonic scores in the late 1970s. While to ascribe this feat single-handedly to Williams is premature, the popularity and impact of the scores was a major contribution. One technique in particular has had a particular influence: Williams's revival of a technique called "leitmotif", which is most famously associated with the operas of Wagner and, in film scores, with Steiner. A leitmotif is a phrase or melodic cell that signifies a character, place, plot element, mood, idea, relationship or other specific part of the film. It is commonly used in modern film scoring, as a device to mentally anchor certain parts of a film to the soundtrack. Of chief importance for a leitmotif is that it must be strong enough for a listener to latch onto while being flexible enough to undergo variation and development.

...that's when I got bored...but interesting facts about a "leitmotif".

Helly said...

We have a small wooden boat decoration in our bathroom, does that count?