
The soccer playoffs, Europameistershaft, are going by this title so I see my name all over the place. It's like when Hurricane Emily ravished the country and I was in the headlines. Last night was the big game between Germany and Turkey that determined who advanced to the top two teams. It was a big deal. BMW even shut down production so employees could watch the game. It was such an exciting one too. Germany won, and there was much celebration of the the country's Mannschaft. (Mannschaft is team in German.)
We started the night hours before the game at the beergarden where the authorities seemed pretty easygoing and carefree. The girl at the table next to us with a verboten bottle of liquor was told to make one more drink then put it away. I assume that's what he told her anyway as that is what she did. Being busted didn't seem so bad; start giftwrapping the boxed wine. The Polizei seemed significantly more stern however in the aftermath of the game when hordes of them passed us in riot gear and put the rowdies in custody.
People were wearing German flags as capes, skirts, dresses, and running around shouting and blowing foghorns and honking and drinking more beer and climbing anything that they could to lead cheers. We even saw some people jump into the fountains. in their undies. good times.
The game tonight determines if Russia or Spain plays Germany in the final.
1 comment:
Kinda like the World Cup final 2 years ago when we were in Paris...except the Germans won. Very cool. I actually caught a little bit of this game as it was on the TV at happy hour and it was exciting with the flurry of scoring at the end...of course ESPN kept cutting out. And I think I just said a soccer game was exciting....it's been a long week.
Post a Comment