Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Fünf Tage
At our final department meeting today “bye, bye miss em” was the last item on the agenda. I got multiple threats not to abandon ship which, while frightening-especially greg’s involving fecal material-seemed really sweet and reassuring. We had all of our stuff shipped to Germany yesterday so we’re pretty much just sharing one chair left in our place and looking for things that we won’t see for three weeks until we’re in our new apartment. Not having one is really our main concern right now. I think the cemetery place is looking good. Sorry Kiki, I’ll check your bed for clowns before you go to sleep. I doubt if they can climb three floors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We also gave the movers a nice tip to carry our washer and dryer down to the garage. Meanwhile, I was suffering through a nasty two-day fever from a tetanus booster shot. As a result, I sweated through many of my remaining clothes. Sooo...who can lend a hand with some laundry?
You're welcome to the use of our washer/dryer but sorry Jer...I'm not washing your sweaty clothes for you! ;)
Okay, so while I should be studying I found a link off of your German English Speaking (or was it English Speaking German) site that was really funny. It was basically people going off on all the cuss words that they missed saying (and being understood) here in the states. I copied it for interest!
My fav: Your mom, Dien Mutter... I think I am going to start just saying Dien Mutter with a german accent in bar-bri. It seems more colorful--less insulting.
I'm sorry I missed you today! I will miss you much more in the months to come, Em!!
Safe travels to you--and if someone ticks you off, just use one of these.
NOTE: after posting (and then re-reading) I have removed the very VERY offensive section!!! Sorry Em!
"just bite me!" - "Sie können mich mal gern haben" wouldn't contain any swear words as well, and it's close to the meaning of "leave me alone", and other not so polite phrases.
'Shame' - like in "What a shame" would be "Was für eine Schande" or just "(Eine) Schande", while "shame on you" would be "Schande über dich".
"No please, after you." - "Bitte nach ihnen"
"Thank you very much for holding the door open for me!" - "Vielen Dank, dass Sie mir die Tür aufhalten!"
"That meal was delicious, I love spicey food" - "Das Essen war sehr lecker, ich liebe scharfes (i.e. hot) / gut gewürztes (i.e. lots of spices) Essen!"
"I don't give a flying rat's ass" - "Das geht mir am Arsch vorbei"
"Your mom" - "Deine Mutter". I have to add that those "Your mom..." jokes are quite popular at least with the younger folks.
"Excuse me" - when apologizing or asking for something, "Entschuldigen Sie bitte" would always be appropriate. But if it's meant more in the "get your lazy ass out of my way, sucker!"-way, "Sie erlauben!" would be socially acceptable, combined with a gesture or slight touch to shove the person away.
The author also suggested www.mundmische.de for more slang and swearword...Sorry again Em!!
Post a Comment