Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Zwölf Days Out

Things are totally coming together as we get closer to our departure date. We have renters, we have legally required lights on our bikes—they’re awesome; they look like strobe lights. We tested them out on our way home from Nick and Kristin’s without incident. We have our movers scheduled, we have our tickets, we got a green light from the dentist, and I am oh so close to finishing my exams. I took a breather today so Bird and I could check out the new outlets. They had everything you’d expect: Banana, Gap, girls with bikini line bearing cut-offs, restaurants like Chicken Now and Sausage Kingdom. Super fun. I got new pants with tons of confusing pockets. Because of our move, I also got to excuse myself from jury duty, which I was scheduled for a few days after we leave. I had a hilarious experience with jury duty while I was teaching at Reeths-Puffer. On the video where the kids were supposed to do speeches in my absence, the sub recorded Chad Lowry performing a song he entitled “Miss D., I’m Sorry You’re on Jury Duty.” I guess the song was popular for a while; he played it at some parties around town. My last jury duty was great too. I got to sit and grade for about four solid hours, my workday was over by one, and I raked in two dollars. But not going is absolutely the best luck so far. This bodes well for Germany.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Emily doesn't mention in her story is that same kid also sang on the video tape, "Why don't you dump that guy and marry me?" I showed him. :-)

lips said...

Dare we hope that this can be found on YouTube??

krhagan said...

Exactly?! How do we get a hold of this tape?