Monday, May 19, 2008

Gut Test Score

Unlocking the mysteries of umlauts and eszetts (ß) is far more fun than I thought it would be. Should anyone have any desire to take in some German, I highly recommend the German Language Center where my tutor Renate Saggau led me to the successful score you see displayed here. woowoo. The center is in a cute house in Montrose, and they also hold a German kindergarden and host meetups. Jeremy and I went to the last meetup where I jumped into a discussion with some strangers about how schwül means humid and schwul, pronounced with a little less oooh, means gay. I learned this subtlety from a great German film about a guy who is kicked off his soccer team when his teammates discover his sexual orientation. He spends the movie gathering up an unlikely crew of other gay soccer players to beat his straight home team. Hilarious. It’s called Guys and Balls.
Please don’t think my surprising success on this test relates to a high caliber of conversational skill. I say really stupid things. The other day, Frau Saggau asked me a yes no question and I said nicht (not) instead of nein (no). I wonder if they had a phase in the eighties like we did when this was funny. This suit is gray. NOT. I also emailed a fellow named Andreas about an apartment and addressed him as Frau (Mrs.) instead of Herr (Mr.). 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the way you write. you love the way sylvia writes (BTW - she's got a new posting). i'm very happy you started a blog. it will make the separation a tiny bit less painful and sad. hugs!

krhagan said...

Don't downplay your test score - you rock! We're gonna miss you SO much!

dizkonekdid said...

So I can't take lessons from you? Wow, that is a killer test score. Conversations are all about your confidence level as well. I was speaking with another friend about how his Spanish teacher told him to go and have a few beers before taking his practical, he actually got a perfect score after 3 pints at the bar.

So now you have free reign to go drinking every time you go out in Germany.

:)