Friday, August 6, 2010

Sacre Blue!

French peasant fitting today took hours and hours. Had I been a real French peasant, I could've tilled a whole feudal plot.
The outfits, like this one, were all quite reminiscent of Little House on the Prarie. But rather than being one of the first in line and recipient of one of the cuter ensembles like I managed for my Victorian gig, I was close to the dead end and had about thirty random dresses, skirts, woolen tops, aprons, and crazy hats and bonnets tried on me in order to get a cohesive final product.
The end result was that they gave me two versions of an outfit to be decided on the first day of filming. I definitely have a too tight corset, neat Mary Poppins boots, a black and white check dress, and a blue jacket. And I may or may not have a cutely striped apron like in the picture and a wild velvet hat. I'm so hoping to score the former and avoid the latter.
After costuming, I went to hair where they did this:
I was then sent to make up which just consisted of a lecture on how we were strictly forbidden to wear any, even too shiny chapstick. Ooh, and the lady warned me that I had nice teeth, but that they were too white and straight for the time period. She threatened to put dirty teeth makeup on them if I smile on camera. But I doubt that I'll be that smiley as a World War I refugee in a too tight corset.

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Ew dirty teeth makeup?! Makes sense that such a thing exists, but sounds yucky!

Sarah said...

Whatever you do, don't black out a tooth with permanent marker. Steve Essex did that one Halloween trying to be Mr. Clean. It didn't work out so well.

em said...

kerry! the icky teeth threat is definitely enough to keep me from smiling. the wool tights might help too. :)

sar! ha, steve essex. i hope he at least got some booty. (it's another word for pirate treasure.) hope you arrrrrrr having fun with mom and ellis and timmy!

Julie said...

Em, your hair looked beautiful. I think I have romanticized the notion of "peasant." All I can think of is pretty shirts and flowy dresses. Tilling soil and no makeup and dirty teeth....peasants WORKED and didn't just sit around in pretty tops...Oh.....I hope they don't make you work too hard!

Margaret said...

I can't wait to hear more.