T and C and Jeremy and I spent a lovely weekend touring the moorlands and valleys of the Yorkshire Moors National Park. Before hitting the countryside, we spent a beautiful day touring the ancient city of York, including their famous Minster, the crazy old leaning houses in the Shambles, and a great historic pub allegedly haunted by two cats and the soldiers who died in its cellars in the tenth century.
But I think we were all most excited about the moors. James Herriot, veterinarian and adorable writer, convinced me early in my adolescence that I had to love dogs and the countryside of Yorkshire. I loved one story of his about this dog that would always get his tongue stuck in tin cans. And another story about a sweet family who thanked him for his veterinary services by serving him fried lard. I would have been a vet too if I had a higher tolerance for ickiness. But our experiences in the moors were limited to hiking, cute towns, good food, and fun with Tom and Carla. The moors are described as a mosaic of heather, and heather can be mighty colorful.
Our first hike was around the Hole of Horecum, which I've seen described as a devil's punchbowl feature. As if the devil fancies punch.
And we started our second hike in Rosedale Abbey
and ended by these neat old kilns once used for smelting iron ore.
We visited the coastal town of Whitby,
the sheep-cut lawns of Hutton-le-Hole,
the castle ruins in Helmsley,
and stayed at an incredible bed and breakfast where Neville baked us a fresh cake every day and left things in our room arranged in this caliber of cuteness:
Thank you so much for visiting us, Tom and Carla! We couldn't have loved our Yorkshire adventure more. hugs hugs!!
4 comments:
Looks like so much fun! I think I will steal this mini vacation from you and take Dan away for a long weekend soon! Glad you had fun!
~Jessica
Awww, it is so picturesque. I've visited Yorkshire and loved it, but never did the moors. Now, after having seen your photos, I just have to go back. I also want a cute B & B this time, not a local hotel. Thanks for sharing.
You guys sure plan the BEST vacations:) Can you give us an update on your extra jobs?
jessica! i'd love to help plan your yorkshire escape. i'll bring you my book next time i see you that we're not walking in the rain :)
expats! i hope you go back, and i promise you'll love this b&b. the owners leave cookies and fresh milk in the room. and there's a duck pond down the road.
lou! thanks groovy chic. i have a french refugee fitting later today, and i promise to post later with all the scoop. love you!
Post a Comment