Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sugar Bears and Cool Boxes

I was pencilled in for another job on Potter this week but sadly didn't make the final cut. So I had some free time to help a great guy named Mike who is directing the play A Few Good Men in which a bunch of really nice British people use American accents. Mike brought me on board to help the Demi Moore equivalent character, also named Emily. She's the sweetest girl and sounded passably American, but we practiced doing a more authentic job with certain lines like: "You bet your ass, Sugar Bear!" It felt awesome to have so many people listen to how I said things and to compliment my accent. As if I had honed it on purpose. I can't wait to go see their performance. I'm on the program!


And in an unrelated story, our fridge died while we were out last weekend. Shoot! So while we were waiting for the repair, I e-mailed our landlord Chris to see if he had a cooler we could borrow. He called me within five minutes to ask me what a cooler was.


Me: Um, it's a big plastic box you take to the beach and fill with ice so you can have cold beers. (Although I was hoping to use it more widely. I just had nutella and lukewarm tap water for lunch.)

Chris: Oh, you must mean a cool box.

M: Yeah, okay. Do you have a cool box?

Chris: Sure I have a cool box. You'll just have to keep adding ice.

M: mmm, but our fridge is broken.

Chris: Oh yeah. I'll bring you ice and a cool box.

M: Cheers!

6 comments:

Expats Again said...

I had to laugh because my husband is Australian & I'm an American and we presently live in Munich. Aussies call a cooler and "Eskie." Short for what? Eskimo??

em said...

hiya expats! i like eskie even better than cool box. we bought a fan in munich a couple years ago with the brand name "alaska." these marketers really have a handle on things that are cold.

Jenny Wren said...

Em, I find your speaking voice so adorably DISTINCTIVE...I wonder if your tutoring will be apparent in the movie!!?? I would love it- I would jump up and down! Maybe they'll call you for voice-overs if she says things like coolbox instead of cooler by mistake. Don't forget to teach her "F****ng-A right"! That's one I miss hearing here on the continent.

em said...

jen! distinctive is kind way to say it. i've often been compared to mrs. doubtfire for my unusual pitch variation. f***ing a is right. ooh, in addition to cooler, one more term i had to explain-another witch took my wand to use two at once, so i of course yelled, hey, don't bogart my wand. apparently, they don't bogart things here.

Anonymous said...

My old supervisor in Seattle called me "Eski-Moe" because I liked it so cold in the tower on midnight shifts...
Moe

fallen monkey said...

I am laughing very hard over so many things in both your post and subsequent comments. First of all, high-five on the accent training! I think it would be marvelous if the entire cast delivers the play sounding like Mrs. Doubtfire :) That, by the way, is one of the next things that made me giggle...along with the cool box. Taken out of context, that sounds a bit saucy.

We must meet for some sort of beverage soon, chick! -Colleen