Friday, April 16, 2010

Twickenham and Spooks

Sitting in a biergarten in the sunshine with bikes on one side of us and German being spoken on the other three and water sparkling in the distance, it was almost like we were at Seehaus in Munich. We weren't though; we were in Richmond where we started a great walk through said town and the slightly more interestingly named town of Twickenham across the river. (The biergarten is called Stein's, apparently possessive, and they have Obatzda.)
Even absent the beer, I would have loved this walk with its bridges, benches, horses, picnic-goers, flowers, trails, kissing gates, and a ferry across the river.

I think it was the warmest day since I lived here, helping make this my favorite London strolling spot to date.
Also this week, I was the Aide to the Home Secretary on the BBC show Spooks which I immediately wanted to be on because of the cool name. It's the British word for spies, and the show is about the British Security Service. not ghosts.
I thought this would be a lot like my other jobs where I happily chatted with other fun extras all day between takes. But not so much. I discovered on my first day that I was the only extra. Everyone else on set had a real job to do all day. I loved the parts where I was "working" but the parts between where I'd normally be chatting were pretty lonesome. On the first day, I read an entire 300 page book Under the Wire, an awesome account of the American pilot William Ash who was the inspiration for Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape. The next day, they thankfully had another really nice extra, a pretend deliveryman who saved me from being lonesome but contributed to my being told off for talking too much during filming. It was like Melanie and lift class all over again.

6 comments:

NoSweatTravel said...

You are AWESOME! This is hysterical and you will shoot to stardom for sure! ;-) As an extra, are you allowed to have a personal assistant....kind like a caddy? I would carry your purse around the set all day! Really I would! ;-)

Emily's Mother said...

Emily you have been in a lot of trouble lately. Talking during takes is rude. And your phone ringing loud music during our tour of the Tower of London (in a quiet church). Where did I go wrong?

em said...

christine! ha, i don't think there's a lower person on the hierarchy than extra. leider. :) i might have more scoop coming up soon though. i'm trying not to jinx it by getting too excited before it's confirmed. also, miss you!

mom! i'm still blushing with embarrassment. the kicker is that usually when people call, it's for jilly who apparently used to have my phone number. her vet recently called to tell me bumble's medication is in.

Colleen said...

Oh, I love Stein's! We'll have to round up the troops and head there this summer for some refreshing Radlers.

Jenny Wren said...

Valentina's profile pic is of her at Stein's I believe!

Missing you and as always love reading about your adventures. In return I have to work on my Iceland post...Berlin post...and then another post about how Uwe is very metrosexual and that has been a theme for German men since the 1800's (I just learned that historical fact courtesy of a podcast).

em said...

colleen! i'm so game. and quite impressed with your knowledge of the Radler.

jen! i had no idea of stein's popularity but totally understand it. and mama, i've been anxiously awaiting your iceland scoop.