Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bring on the Hausfraus and Other Social Deviants

It was a week of seriously concentrated fun with Jul, aforementioned travelista, funmonger, and artist. I thought it was such an apt appositive that I'd keep working it. Our adventures included a visit to Tate Modern, where I took the above picture of the beautiful sky over the Millennium Bridge, learned new things about Francis Bacon, painter of violent, homoerotic subjects, not to be confused with Francis Bacon the essayist, and enjoyed hearing schoolchildren's commentary on Picasso, the first artist to use the dove as a symbol of peace.
We also visited the Victoria and Albert Museum briefly, got spanked (not literally) at quiz night where I had my first British pie, much like Stouffer's but even more delicious and fatty, learned the random Picasso fact above, and realized the gaping hole in my knowledge of British pop culture.
We also explored some of the hip streets, art exhibits, and restaurants around Hoxton Square. How fabulous is this couch?
as fabulous as this bathroom?
I thought you'd like this picnic table dad.
The area was also conducive to monster finding for Jul's previously mentioned sketchbook project.
And with Jul's help, I also discovered two purveyors of Früli, which we discovered in Dublin. Here she is enjoying the distant memories evoked by the smell of crunchberries. This scene, moments before I realized I'd taken us to the wrong bar and our group was actually meeting at a similarly named joint quite a ways down the street.
and sadly, our final meal together made funnier by the proximity to hooves.

6 comments:

Jul said...

I want to do it all again!

Jul said...

OK, maybe not the hooves.

em said...

we might want to skip the quicksand nightmare bit and check our destinations a bit more carefully, but we're otherwise on! like my prom dress was.

Jenny Wren said...

I too saw the hooves and I just have no idea how that can be ok. It's like finding some feathers in your chicken breast skin, or a worm in your broccoli, but this is on proud display and seems highly unsanitary. How come they don't say- we're TERRIBLY sorry about that?!

Julie said...

Are those real hooves? How crazy! Here's hoping that you get spanked again soon, this time, literally. Hurray!

em said...

jen! i hope you haven't really had a worm in your broccoli.

julie! i promise to keep the blog abreast of any spankings.