- Alptraum-i like this one for the surprise factor. Traum is dream, so it seems like an Alptraum would be something nice, like a dream about the Alps, but it's a nightmare.
- Chef-your Chef is just your boss, but you sound really important when you say things like, my chef stopped by my office today...
- bald-this is just funny in being a false cognate. It looks like hairless but just means soon.
- Klappe-it's a lid or a flap. Shut up is "Halt die Klappe."
- umarmen-this is a great verb because um is around and arm is an arm, so around-arming is hugging
- Staubsauger-is a vacuum but literally translates to dust sucker. Anna taught me this one in a dialogue we did for the class about how we were going to clean our hypothetical apartment. I don't know as many words as her, so I just kept making ridiculous suggestions like "Let's get a cleaning lady" and "why don't you just do it?"
- Säuger- this is related to the last word, it kind of translates as suckers but means mammals. because we're milk suckers I guess.
- Auspuff-Exhaust pipe on a car
- Schnauzer-Mustache. Sounds funny no?
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Tschüsee Anne!
I had the best teacher for my first two Volkschochschule classes, super lovely, patient, clear, fun, non-confrontational, everything one would want in a German teacher. My current teacher though is a bit less awesome. She tends to yell at people for things like not understanding her, asking a question, or saying good morning when walking in late. The saving grace of the class though is this adorable Dutch girl Anne who speaks what, to me, sounds like perfect German, lets me cheat off of her, and saves me from being called out on a million things I don't know. She also says funny things with great frequency. On the first day of class, the teacher made us all ask Anne questions about her home country and she fielded questions like "how much does marijuana cost there?" with ease. Sadly though, Anne got a new job so I'm on my own for the next month or so of class. To cheer myself up, here are some fun German words.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
These are awesome! I love learning German through you Em! Sorry that your friend left, that would make me so bummed. At least you still got your sense of humor. :)
Excellent currywurst pic. Was it as good as the stuff we got from the burly street vendor?
You could take a sock puppet to class and name it Anne....maybe it would kinda be the same...... :-)
Wasn't there something else Ann said that was funny? Hmm, I can't remember exactly. Anyway, I found the special extra somethin in the currywurst pic. Nice.
Shera-thanks man. it will be a tough rest of the class, and i plan on moping a lot. my next class is at the gasteig though, way closer to you. that cheers me up!
helly-impressed you chose to comment on the quality of the currywurst in the picture rather than focussing on anything else...
tazz-while i thank you for ideas for lessening my pain, i don't think a sock puppet will do. i need comic relief beyond my own powers.
sarah-bwah, yes. anne, i may have mentioned a couple fun stories about you to my sister. it is possible that i mentioned an erotic messe and ping pong. and good eye in the currywurst picture sar. you would have killed in the mini pages.
Hi Emily,
Wauw, es ist echt Toll, dass du ein Blog über mich geschrieben hast!!!! Ich bin sehr stolz darauf. Vieleicht kan ik dein Blog in mein Blog nennen, das wäre schön haha. Aber mein Blog ist in Niederländisch, so das kannst du nicht lesen!
Aber du weißt, du wirst unsere überlehrerin überleben!!! Und hoffentlich ist deine nächste Lehrerin netter!!!
Liebe Grüße und bis morgen,
Anne
Em, translate Anne's message please. I hope it references a sucker or a moustache.
Hi, I love your blog and you have an amazing eyes for details. Love that you blog out of my home town - have said so before. Well, I am in Munich right now and wonder if you would like to improve your Perman whilst improving my English? Paula
Jul- Anne's message says:
wow, it's really great that you wrote a blog about me. I am very proud. Maybe I can reference your blog in my blog, but my blog is in Dutch so you can't read it. But you know you will survive our teacher. And hopefully your next teacher is nicer.
Paula- Thanks for writing. I'd be happy to have another Sprachpartnerin! Please send me an e-mail at emilyderezinski@hotmail.com :)
Post a Comment