That's the translation of Munich's Starkbierfest, a lovely party celebrating the historic stronger beer monks once brewed to sustain them through Lent. While it was verboten to eat, drinking a bunch of beer was a-okay. This beer has more substantial nutrients than your average beer, and as the name suggests, is strong. It is about 7.5% alcohol, and like your thirties, it can really sneak up on you. The festival celebrating this brew involves a lot of dirndl wearing and oompah band action. It's like a small, cute Oktoberfest.
Important things to know about Starkbierfest bathrooms: they cost 35 cents, this cost includes only one push on the soap machine-note attendant in mirror checking on this one, and the sawdust en route to or from the bathroom is more likely covering puke and not just randomly places sawdust/stepped on pretzel.
Above, a bunch of people in tracht in the "I love you man" phase of the evening.
And Lueas, this one goes out to you:
6 comments:
Man, that currywurst looks good!! I made something from my hauffbrau house cookbook last night and it was delicious. I'm missing Germany! (and you guys of course) Can you go to the potty for 25 cents if you don't wash your hands?
Sar! Jeremy said it was the best currywurst he'd had yet. What did you make? The Weinschorle? We miss you tons too and loved catching you and nick on skype. I think he saw TWO dogs. (i don't mean us.) I'm not sure there's any wiggle room in their bathroom pricing strategy.
How much I miss Europe and Munich in particularly. Ice to know that you are blogging out of my home town. Paula a recent transplant to Floridaq
No food but you can get loaded. That is quite a nice little loophole for those fasting monks.
Thanks for commenting Paula and Skip. I hope you're enjoying your relocation in Florida. There are some parallels between Floridian culture and here, like comfort in wearing speedos. :)
and Clayton, yes, it's kind of like going on an all liquid diet and having a bunch of milkshakes. If I were going to have one right now, I'd go for the shamrock shake.
I love Munich with its traditions. Starkbierfest is one of my favorite holidays. Every year my company organizes meets up for all our employees there. And the next day funny photos of the boss and us all are to see on Munich forum http://www.talkmunich.com/
Post a Comment