Monday, May 2, 2011

Jul's Art Show!

While Kate and Will were headed down the aisle, Jeremy and I were headed down to Heathrow, super excited to attend an exhibition of our friend Jul's art. If you are reading this, you have likely heard me speak of Jul and her artistic stylings. If you haven't though, you'll definitely enjoy checking out her site here.

I of course think she's incredible. Her subjects tend to be cities and portraits, and without knowing any jargony art words, I can only describe my affection for her work as a result of her really neat perspective, creative and beautiful color choices, and fun textures. Above is a sampling of some of her smaller sized works, many of which were sold in the course of the show. 
I'm kicking myself for not capturing more of her portraits, but here are a couple with the subjects. 

Jul has a website (here) where one can purchase her work without traveling to Munich. She also takes commissioned work and will send you things anywhere in the world in nice boxes with stickers.
I've been coveting a number of paintings on her DaWanda website and was really happy that my favorite one was still available. I am the proud new owner of my first Julie original:
I'm pretty excited about it. These are some of my other favorites, though the dirndl one on the right was scooped up in the final moments of the show.
I have tons of favorites though, so please know that I won't be upset with you if you swoop in on one of these sales. 

7 comments:

Maria said...

What amazing artwork!! I can't wait to come visit and see some in person. Miss you guys!

Jessica said...

Ohh! The show looks amazing, I follow her blog and just love her work! If we ever settle down, one of her originals will be sure to adorn our wall as well!

Your Mom said...

I still like the painting of you Emily. It is printed out from my computer and on my refrigerator. Hope Julie won't mind. Pretty colors and a great thoughtful look.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Emily, you're so lucky to have such an amazingly talented friend! I too loved the dirndl one and the one of you too - of course! Such beautiful colors throughout all of Jul's work.

WMMc said...

Wow, Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing Em!

Jul said...

Em! I can't thank you enough for turning down your invitation to the royal wedding to come to my modest shindig instead. It was so wonderful having you and Jeremy here for the show, and the whole weekend! It wouldn't have been nearly as fun without you.

This post makes me smile so much, as does the fact that your mother has a copy of your portrait on her fridge. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! These paintings are phenomenal. They all bring back such fond memories of our whirlwind tour of Munich with you.

I love the painting of you. Jul managed to capture your spirit so beautifully. Is it a camera in your hand, slightly out of frame?

Also, the picture of you with the portrait is stunning. It is one of my fav Em pics of all time.

-Kristin