Canterbury is where Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was martyred in 1170 as a result of his disagreement with Henry II on church rights. He was murdered in the cathedral which became a pilgrimage site and served as the setting for Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. I remember choosing the Wife of Bath for an essay topic because she was so bawdy.
While some pilgrims hiked over 100 miles to reach Canterbury, we took a 57 minute train ride from St. Pancras, where Potter catches the Hogwarts Express. Here, a neat tree outside the cathedral where I'm sure people making the pilgrimage also posed with their autosetting.

And Lou, this is what punting looks like. Picture the fellas doing the work and us drinking Pimm's and bridge jumping.
It was a perfect day to explore the town's old castle, cobbled streets, riverside paths, flower filled gardens, and we found a great place to watch the Germany Argentina game. Perhaps it wasn't as lively as watching it in Germany; I didn't see anyone with the score posted on their butt cheeks, but it was lovely nonetheless.
4 comments:
I can't wait to go punting. I looked up some youtube videos of people bridge jumping and I think we can do it!! Lets make Jason go first though :)
I remember Mrs. Frantz saying her favorite written line in literature was from the Canturbury Tales. It was the "let flee a fart" line. Nice. Punting looks fun. I can't wait until we can come too. Miss ya!
em i think that is foxglove growing beautifully, not sure but i looked it up in my complete guide to gardening ( better homes and gardening ). i was wondering however was jeremy actually window peeking? he looked mighty cute and a bit suspecious.
love
terri
lou! right on, those videos make it look easy. we may not even need pimm's courage. but yeah, to be safe, maybe jason should go first.
sar! i remember her saying that so distinctly too! i think it was out a window in someone's face. it's only two days until your birthday. happy early birthday!
terri! ah, you're totally right. you'd think they'd have canterbury bells there, wouldn't you? foxgloves is a pretty charming name too. thanks so much for fact checking me!
Post a Comment