Friday, August 7, 2009

Leaving Texas, Part II

Moving away from Houston last year for a one year transfer seemed lighthearted and risk free as we assumed we'd be reclaiming our lives here in no time. The last week, however, seemed far more frantic since we're embarking on an all out move and the sorting, packing, donating, moving, good bye saying, dental cleaning, skin cancer checking, and Tex Mex eating have to be crammed into seven short days. with frequent lapses in air conditioning, internet, and clean clothes. The action has been distracting, but it's been really hard to say goodbye to Houston. 


Houston has been a great home: palm treed, affordable, sunny like nobody's business, and filled with cool chics. In a non-deragotory way, yes, this means you too James. From the time I got off the plane here seven years ago and a guy in a cowboy hat and boots said, "You sure are purdy," I've big Texan loved living here.


So special thanks to you Texas, despite your lack of bike paths and Democrats, and also to Ali, Jergs, Tal, Rochelle, and James for all the help with our storage unit and heavy stuff, to Nick, Kristin, Guy, and Christine for being such lovely hosts, to Jan, Michelle, and Greg, who I don't think I've told about my blog as they are English teachers and I fear their proofreading skills, for your unbelievable support and time this week, and to Bird, Emil, Wendy, Vicki, Karen, Karolyn, John, and others previously mentioned for being so fabulous and for making us feel surrounded by family. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't tell you enough how much i hate you leaving houston for good, but if you must leave, leave me with all your cool furnishings, oh wait! you've already done that! ;-) i'm gonna miss you so, so much em. thank you for all the goodies. i can't wait to have you and jer come visit us in our new home. i'll make you heart shaped waffles and make sure you get to dry off with your pretty and plush towels.

em said...

ali! ha, i'm so glad you have the goods. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get this new awesome house to put them in. miss you already! you'll make me heart waffles when i come stay with you right?

dizkonekdid said...

I will miss you two. We will try to make it to GB soon. I love NYC. Enjoy!