Monday, August 10, 2009

I love N.Y.

Right on the heels of my dramatic break up with Munich and breaking off my long term deal with Houston, I find I'm fancying New York. I really hadn't planned anything for my time here, but I've already had two spectacular days.
Upon arriving, Jeremy and I took to the park and saw a street festival with more booty shaking than I could have imagined. So much booty. By the time I grabbed my camera from our apartment, the costumed dancers were gone, and it was just these guys, hocking calendars that I can only imagine are filled with their abs.
But it was Charlene's tour that really won me over. (Note: Charlene is a fellow hausfrau who I met in Munich, visited in Sweden, share a birthday with, and will live near soon in London. woo woo! She's pretty awesome.) We started by taking her lobster via tram to her current residence in Roosevelt Island. I loved the tram ride. Maybe I'm not afraid of heights. 
And then a shopping hootenany ensued. Not any purchasing of goods, just an assault on all the senses, first with ABC Carpet & Home where there were a million layers of brilliantly arranged shiny things. I only saw the first two floors and couldn't believe that more things existed in the world. 
Our next stop, Fishs Eddy, beckoned us in with hundreds of outstretched arms, former glove making molds.
Among the awesome collections in this store were silverware in the shape of the Chrysler Building, groups of themed dishes, cake platters, and fun factory equipment. I sadly did not have room in my suitcase for the pink cupcake sized pedestal plate. 
And before I took a bus 40 blocks home, holy crap New York is huge, we hit the Chelsea Market where I got a big brownie from Fat Witch's Bakery. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

Welcome back to the USA! I'm glad you were promptly treated to some booty shaking!