Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Corset Pains


I don't think I've ever really been excited about clothes aside from scoring them cheaply, like finding the shirt I'm wearing for under a dollar at Target or getting 75% off shoes at DSW. But today was one of the most exciting days I've ever had, largely due to the coolness of the clothing I got to wear. (and the niceness of all the people I met and the gorgeousness of the weather)
I get to dress in Victorian garb for an upcoming film, and I wondered why my fitting in Surrey yesterday was scheduled for four hours. It soon became clear though; it wasn't like getting fitted for a bridesmaid's dress at all.
First, I was escorted to the back where hundreds of period dresses and accoutrements hung in a array of muted colors and where two nice ladies squeezed me into a corset. It was a lot like lacing up hockey skates, so tight I thought they were kidding. I couldn't have eaten or bent over or anything fancy, but I found I could breathe lightly.
I realize this may become a bit tedious in detail should you have no interest in Victorian fashion. I would be in the same boat had I not recently had large butt pads applied to make my dress floof out in back like the lady on the far right side of the painting.
Next, I got outfitted with fun Mary Poppins shoes and a great big black fluffy skirt. The skirt was so stunning, I thought it was my outfit, but it was just the petticoat. Then butt pads went over this, then they topped this with a great checked blue and black skirt and jacket set that they admitted were a tight squeeze. No more Cadbury eggs then.
I thought this couldn't be any cooler, but then they added a stunning gold shirt with a sweet bow under the jacket and an unbelievable velvet coat that I hoped would fit when I saw it. And when the seamstress and I tugged and pushed my waist in, it totally did. I love that black velvet coat. It makes me think of Coming to America: "That's beautiful! What is it? Velvet?"
But the best part by far was the fun accessory table where I was the happy recipient of one black lacy hat with feathers and a bow around my chin. And have I mentioned that the shooting next week will all be in the rain? That is going to be one useful feather lace hat. And I get gloves! And finally, and most excitingly, a beautiful fur muff. I giggled a little too when they said it.
There's more. Once my duds were complete, they sent me to hair and makeup, where my hair was smooshed to the front in four gigantic curls and they took lots of pictures to duplicate it for each day of filming.
I got more pictures taken then got to return my clothes to wardrobe. Corset removal felt unbelievable. Like when you take off your ski boots. Like I had forgotten what it was like to have a full range of motion in my torso. And truly, hours later, I've still got some lingering belly pain where my stomach seems kind of angry I squished it so tight for so long.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

POst pictures! I want to see the hair and the pretty jacket and the muff! I bet you looked beautiful!

Maria said...

Oh yeah- we have to see you! Can Jeremy take pics for us next week? Maybe they will let you keep the fur muff.

em said...

thanks guys! but sadly, they made me sign a waiver saying that i'd be sent home without pay if i tried to duplicate any images from the studio. shoot. i tried to get the hair lady to leave my rolls in so i could wear them home like that and add a picture of my extra tall do, but she wanted her clips back and wasn't having any of my foolishness.

Jul said...

Let me know if you need that muff diving photo of you to illustrate one of these posts.

Tall Amy said...

I am so excited. I personally would like the butt pads. If they won't let you leave with them at the end of filming, maybe we could sew a few of them while you are home this spring. I bet your rack looked awesome in the corset, too. Maybe I will try to bring it back again here in the states - if Madonna can do it, so can I.

scatterlined said...

Hammer geil!

krhagan said...

Loved the outfit details! It sounds gorgeous and I can't wait to see you in the film!!!

NoSweatTravel said...

OMG, I got giddy for you reading your pre-adventure adventure!!! What a fun experience...although the corset thing spooks me a bit...seems like my head might explode from the fat displacement if I strapped one of those bee-aches on...you know, like when you grab a long balloon in the middle, that air gots to go somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Sounds so exciting to be part of the process! How many people do they have to do this for? How long will you be in the film? What film is it? How can they predict rain for next week...or will they have a rain machine? I must have more details to fully appreciate the story!!!!!!
;-)
Moe

em said...

stellar idea jul. that would have been way better here than the seuret. i clearly have prior experience.

if they let me keep the butt pads amy, i promise to share them. we could each wear one cheek as we venture out to get some agua. at el burrito.

ja ja genau scott!

kiki! i'm going to try extra hard to push my way to the front of filming and to wave to you too. i'll be like the worst extra ever.

em said...

und ich glaube dir nicht christine. i've seen you in a dirndl which is mighty corsetlike. and you kill it! you would be such a saucy victorian.

moe! the film is a disney flick called john carter of mars. it has the same director as wall-e and monsters inc. i'm just in filming for a week for a sequence in victorian new york that's being shot in the rain. i assume the rain will be manufactured, but i'm mighty curious to see how. there are loads of extras, so i'm a little skeptisch i'll be recognizable despite the awesomeness of my outfit.

Sarah said...

I sure hope you don't have to go to the bathroom in that thing. Maybe you should bring a pull up or something, just in case. :)

em said...

sar! that was such a valid concern and one i so failed to foresee.