Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Brollies Up!

This is the command given before each filming, instructing us to put our umbrellas up before they jacked the rain machine and a downpour was upon us. Sadly, the few people cast as paupers didn't get a brolly as an accessory. In addition to having to wear fake bad teeth and tattered clothes, some just had baskets of fruit or scarves to keep them dry. It made me feel like a jerk that I had both a big hat and a fancy silver handled umbrella. and two different husbands who shared their umbrellas.

I thought movie rain would be romantic and imagined it might be warm and misty and part of an indoor setting. Really though, it was much harder than any real rain except downpours I witnessed in Texas, and was outdoors and seemed much, much colder than real rain. Likely because my socks and dress were soaked by ten and filming continued until after six.

It's hard to organize all of my thoughts for the rich and long day, but they're overwhelmingly positive. I can't wait to do it again despite the physical trials which included waking up at 3:30 a.m., a bloody scalp from hastily applied bobby pins, one painfully restrictive corset worn for over eleven hours, an aching lower back from carrying about ten extra pounds of water soaked into my thick petticoats and velvet overcoat, teeth chattering and shivers that lasted most of the day, and the inability to consume liquids since using the bathroom with a muddy, ten pound skirt proved too challenging.

But there were a million awesome bits that made it so worthwhile. During my first shooting, I was just outside the window where I could watch Andrew Stanton, who wrote Toy Story and Monsters Inc. and directed Wall-E and Finding Nemo, as he directed the filming. During the next part of the shooting, I repeatedly crossed the street within feet of Taylor Kitsch. Riggins is very pretty in person. During another part, I walked with my second husband past a shop front window with Riggins on the other side. Pretending not to stare was likely my greatest acting challenge.

I loved the uniqueness of the day. I felt like a princess for the first couple dry hours in unaccustomed fancy clothes and red lipstick. But mostly I loved all the fun and chatter. Between takes, there was so much time to talk to all of the interesting people around. And everyone was so friendly. One new friend and I made a game of guessing if men had real or fake facial hair, since they were giving out fake moustaches and chops like candy. We could usually guess right. One guy who fooled us had such a great moustache that he told us all about how he entered it in international competitions. It really was that cool.

And people showed a lot of concern for one another. Crew members ran out with blankets and sympathy between takes, and all of the film crew seemed genuinely grateful for our efforts. It was a such a nice environment. Had it not been raining, I would have done it for a punch in the arm.

You can find IMDB movie info here.

15 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow what a lot of info. That Taylor Kitsch is beautiful. Such fun and excitment.

Kerry said...

OOOH how exciting!! Sorry about the wet feet - but otherwise sounds like a great day!

Jeremy said...

Emily dear, why don't you put "husbands" in quotes? You don't really mean husbands do you? I thought I was special. :-(

em said...

mom! he is a looker. even the dudes around me agreed.

kerry! definitely a hussyrific day. :)

jeremy! i worried that quotations might make "husbands" seem more suggestive than it did otherwise. but i of course didn't mean it. special husband jeremy.

Anonymous said...

This all sounds so exciting. I wish I were an extra as well...I would look great with a cool mustache and side burns! But, I don't think I could pull off the corset look...
Moe ;-)

scatterlined said...

Congrats on a great first job! And congrats on being so stunning to be cast as a princess; I would have definitely been a pauper.

Jenny Wren said...

It is torture to hear all this wonderfulness without a photo! I can't wait until we can see it.

I loved this story and even though I am green with envy about your movie career, I feel you are giving the requisite beauty rituals the respect they deserve which makes me very pleased. Therefore I am incredibly proud to have you up on the big screen representin'!!!!

I'm sending you a big giant hug, girl.

Sarah said...

Dude, that sounds like so much stinkin fun. I'm glad your day was great, and that you didn't have to go to the bathroom. Love you!

em said...

moe! i wish you would have been there too. you surely would have been a stunner with sassy facial hair, and i daresay you would have also rocked the corset.

scott! aw thanks man, but i'm i don't think the classism was looks based. and i don't think they could have passed up the chance to have you all dapper in a top hat.

em said...

jen! aw thanks for the hug girl. here's a zillion back at ya! i thought of you so much during the day. and i knew you would have cheered on my array of textures and bold lip color. i miss you!

sister sarah! love you tons! thanks for your concern with my practical matters. the day will of course pale in comparison to the funness of my next crowder visit.

NoSweatTravel said...

Sooooooooo exciting! When it is released (2012?) I will be in the theatre and surely catch a glimpse of you and scream "Oh, there's Em!!! Weeeeeeee!" after which I will be most likely tossed out on my tukus for unruly behavior! Oooooh, I can't wait and I hope you are there with me! ;-)
XOXO

Bird said...

There are a TON of big name actors in this movie! Of course, Taylor is the most beautiful of all, but wooziers...THC - he's from TEXAS! Woohoo!

Wanna set a Skype date soon?

Jul said...

Love it! Such a great first gig I'm sure it was worth the wait. Can't wait to see you in action!

Tazz - I'm there! Then we'll have to have a repeat when the DVD comes out so we can pause on all her appearances.

Julie said...

You are a movie star! I hope that you have procured the essential wide-rimmed sunglasses with rhinestones. I can't wait to see the movie. I bet you looked beautiful!

em said...

bird! i'd love me a skype date with you and ouisie!!! this weekend?? yeah!

jul! christine! yeah! so excited to tell you more about my hippie flick coming out even sooner!

julie! sunglasses seem so underutilized in london weather. but yeah, surely i'd wear them anyway if they had rhinestones! :)